Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Humility

We had a great sacrament meeting yesterday. Part of why it was great for me was that I had family there to witness and assist with the blessing of our new daughter. The other reason was how the speakers addressed very well the topics they were assigned: humility and discipleship. It was a great meeting.

I suppose it was more meaningful for me as well because I've recently challenged myself to study the topics assigned for the next week's sacrament meeting and prepare a talk as well.

Last week as I studied the topic of humility, I found the following two resources that I thought I'd share.

The first was a Mormon Channel radio show I came across on my phone. So they have a recurring program called Q&A where they field and respond to questions related to gospel doctrine. I really enjoyed it. Episode 14 is designed to answer the general question, "what is humility?". It's a great resource.

The other is a talk that is quoted in part in the radio program. In April 2006 general conference then-Elder Henry B. Eyring offered a talk entitled As a Child which addresses very well much of the essence of the call to humility - it really is a call to be as a child. It too is a great resource.

PS - here's a bonus resource - Moroni 7:43-44:


 43 And again, behold I say unto you that he cannot have faith and hope, save he shall be meek, and lowly of heart.

 44 If so, his faith and hope is vain, for none is acceptable before God, save the meek and lowly in heart; and if a man be meek and lowly in heart, and confesses by the power of the Holy Ghost that Jesus is the Christ, he must needs have charity; for if he have not charity he is nothing; wherefore he must needs have charity.

PSS - Another couple talks on meekness.

Elder Maxwell: http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=7156

Sister Holland: http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=6968

No comments:

Post a Comment