Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Formula for Success

Last month I referred to President Monson's "Formula for Success," primarily the first of his three suggested steps. I thought it would be worthwhile to speak to all three of the steps more explicitly, and share some of the thoughts I've had this week while I've been considering them.

The three steps President Monson recommends are
  1. Fill your mind with truth
  2. Fill your life with service
  3. Fill your heart with love

The article is a really good read. I recommend it. Before he explains these three steps, he explains why he feels such a formula is needed:
"I would like to suggest that if we are really to be a chosen generation, we have the responsibility to be prepared, to be productive, to be faithful, and to be fruitful as well. What we need, as we journey along through this period known as mortality, is a compass to chart our course, a map to guide our footsteps, and a pattern whereby we might mold and shape our very lives. May I share with you a formula that in my judgment will help you and help me to journey well through mortality and to that great reward of exaltation in the celestial kingdom of our Heavenly Father."
As I've dwelt on President Monson's article, I've thought of each of those three steps and I've wondered if there aren't some things that need to happen before or along with those three steps. That is, is there anything that would keep us from being able to implement this formula?

What do you think?

This is by no means exhaustive, but these are the three that come to my mind as perhaps the most perturbing if not in place.

  1. Relieve your mind of filth
  2. Consecrate your life to the Lord
  3. Eliminate pride from your heart
I have a lot of thoughts on each of these three, so I'll make separate posts for each one over the next few days. For  now I just thought I'd share them along with my testimony that I know that what President Monson has recommended works.

No comments:

Post a Comment